The Old Print Shop
The Old Print Shop was founded in 1898. It has been run by the same family since 1928 when Harry Shaw Newman purchased the gallery from the Estate of Edward Gottschalk. As unusual as it sounds, The Old Print Shop has been in the same location, 150 Lexington Avenue between 29th and 30th Streets, since 1922. It is in an unpretentious brownstone with old wooden floors and antique display cases. Upon entering the shop, customers feel the Old World charm. Third generation Newmans are at the helm of what has been its hallmark: buying and selling fine prints, maps, and books. The shop has supplied prints and paintings to many public and private art collections. It strives to present a friendly and helpful atmosphere to both experts and beginning collectors. The comfortable interior encourages browsing through the thousands of prints which are organized by subject, artist, and size. The shop currently represents over seventy contemporary artists and twenty-five artists’ estates. It has one of the largest collections of eighteenth to nineteenth-century American prints and an extensive collection of maps before 1900 – all available for purchase.
New York, NY